Wednesday, February 15, 2012

"convert"



           A person who has been persuaded to change their religious faith or other beliefs.



I joined The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saint's Nov 2010 and have been given the title "convert" and although I did convert into this religion I'm no less a member than any other member!

I read my scriptures, I do service, I befriend many, I go to sacrament every week, I fulfill my calling, I pay my tithing, I use my talent's to help other's... I love the blessing I have been given because I choose this as my religion... but would absolutely love the title to be dropped.

I know we shouldn't judge but I feel I'm being judged an awful lot! When people find out I'm a convert it's easy for them to judge but they also ask LOT'S of questions and I was shocked to hear one the other day by a girl she asked "Oh so you don't have a T.V. or car?" I was so blown away I had to chuckle a little. I said "Oh I love T.V. and my mini van" I told her that most people only know what they hear from t.v. and the truth is in the scriptures and I could get a couple missionary's over to her house to discuss any further question. She said no but I hope she can find her truth like I did.



FROM PRESIDENT GORDON B. HINCKLEY
Every convert needs “a friend, a responsibility, and nurturing with ‘the good word of God.’”

"It is not an easy thing to become a member of this Church. In most cases it involves setting aside old habits, leaving old friends and associations, and stepping into a new society which is different and somewhat demanding."


I have tattoos and admit I was so stupid to get them, used to drink alcohol (not often but socially), I had discretion's and things I wish I could go back a change but when joining the church I was clean again I was given a second chance to chose the right. I researched and studied a lot of things about my faith I was in for 26 years and found almost everything is the same... and came up with the quote

If you believe the Bible to be true then why can't there be truth in other books
in other scripture, in other faith's?

The LDS religion was just right for me it has changed my life and has made me be a better person including being a better mother, wife, daughter, and sister. I'm proud to be a Mormon and love my life!



7 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, so Craig totally felt the same way on his mission. He wanted to be like everyone else and hated the convert title. Keep in mind, though, it makes you special, not less special. Your convert status means that your embraced a change in your life that not a lot of others can claim...and that takes a lot of strength, which you have plenty of, my friend. :)

cookiemonsters said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tdljld said...

Jessica, thanks for sharing your feelings about this. I've never heard someone say that being called a “convert” made them feel bad. I didn't know. I'd always considered it a title of honor. But I don't speak from experience, like you do.

My parents are both converts to the church but I was born after they had joined. I consider myself a convert, because in Luke 22 when the Lord is speaking to his disciples, who are already member of the church, He tells them that when they are converted that they should strengthen their brethren.

I consider my conversion to be when I knew for myself that the Gospel was true. When I can say that I know I stood on all my own Faith and not that of my parents or others that had taught me as a child. I consider myself to be converted to the Gospel and the Lord in that way. Does that make sense? Do you think that counts? I've always thought that was what the Lord was talking about in Luke 22. What do you think? Maybe I can trade you ;)

mandy said...

my parents are converts- and i still call them that. i see it as bragging rights! if you don't mind, i'm going to call you a convert forever cause the decision to totally change your life is bragging rights and because you're one of the best (converts) i've seen!!!

cookiemonsters said...

Jenny, I think being judged by people including friends within the church made me feel bad. I love the way you put everything and never really thought of it that way but it makes sense! Your such a great friend thank you!

cookiemonsters said...

Thank's Katie your one of the greatest friend's a girl could ask for! I love your friendship! I remember that 1st activity I went to at Katelin's and you came right up to me and spoke about Craig as if I was one of your dearest friend's and I will never forget the conversion story you told me about him!

cookiemonsters said...

I love you Mandy! Thank you for putting a smile on my face and being such a wonderful example to me. Alright Ill be happy about being a "convert" :-)