Sunday, December 11, 2011

Hospital!?! (Emma's birth story)



I went into the hospital 12-10 with a toothache. My dentist said I should go to triage for pain medication and antibiotics since it was Saturday and he didn't know what I could take being pregnant. So I checked it at noon and told them how I just wanted scripts. After getting hooked up to the machines for about 20 minutes one of the amazingly sweet nurses comes in and asks "can you feel your contractions?" I reply "yes there about 3 to 5
minutes apart but that's been going on for months and my mid-wife just checked me Thursday and said I'm only a 1 cm." Then she checked me and I was still only 1 cm. 20 mins after taking the meds they gave me I was in shock with how strong my contracts really were.


2 hours later she checked me again and I progressed to 3 cm's. after calling my mid-wife they decided to admit me! WHAT????? I just wanted my tooth to feel better. As I began to start calling, and texting Tyler numerous times (he was at work) I was in shock and felt like it all might be a dream. I was going to be having Emma so early being I was only 36 weeks and 5 days. Finally after 4 hours I was able to use my phone to google Tyler's store phone #... finally I get a hold of him (he's freaking out) tell him to run to his dads change his shirt and get to the hospital. Mean while Kaylee is in Flagstaff with a friend (on her way) and the other 2 are with there grandma. At 5:00 they check me again and I'm 5 cm's 100% but Emma is still high and the girl's all get to the hospital.

After 3 hours without progress (my mid-wife refused to break my water) I decide to get the epidural and send the kids home with my sister, thinking it was going to be a LONG night and morning. Still with no progress I asked for pitocin to push things along. Around 2:00 am (still 5cm's) my mid-wife breaks my water and the epidural wears off!!! I wanted to do it natural anyway but to go from being completely numb to that much pain that quick I had to be given oxygen.

Tyler help me get through labor and was AMAZING! I'm so blessed to have such an amazing husband! After 3 and a half hours I was 10 cm's... but Emma hadn't dropped yet, so I was told to try and push her down (I could feel her go down then back up, down then back up... after about 5 pushes I decided she wasn't ready and wanted to wait till the crowned. After only 10 minutes she decided to come down her self and I ended up pushing about 10 more times and she was out!

I loved that I didn't have the bright lights, the bed didn't get dropped, and I pushed the way I wanted to push... I loved having a mid-wife who was by my side for hours, and hours of labor!

Emma Margaret was born 12-11-11 @ 5:30 am, was 7 lbs 5 oz, and 20 inches long.








No comments: